Workshop 2: Reflections from Kirsty

Kirsty Lee is a PhD student in the Psychology Department at the University of Warwick working on how bullying involvement affects the adolescent body. At the second Beauty Demands workshop, Kirsty presented a paper that explored the complex relationship between childhood bullying and beauty values. Below are some of her reflections following the workshop. The third workshop will take place 14-15 October in Birmingham and will focus on the globalisation of beauty. The deadline for abstracts for PhD students and early career researchers is 16 July at 4pm.  

I was delighted to attend the second “Beauty Demands” workshop, which focused on the relationship between beauty norms and cosmetic surgery. Not only did I have an opportunity to present my own PhD research (exploring the relationship between childhood bullying, interest in cosmetic surgery, and beauty values), but I was exposed to some very interesting presentations and discussions. The attendees were from a variety of disciplines (e.g., Psychology, Philosophy, Law), so I found the workshop to be stimulating and informative. I learnt a lot and feel inspired to explore this area of research further. I was also encouraged by the feedback I received about my work, which was useful and rewarding.

I fully appreciated the warm and welcoming environment and will certainly stay part of the network. I am really interested to see how the project will progress. I would encourage anyone that is interested in topics around beauty to attend one of the workshops and get involved. You won’t be disappointed!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The pure erotics of Brazilian Waxing

“You might not notice it … but I do”: Shame and Cosmetic Surgery

Embodying trauma and troubling appearances within photography for the ‘Your Body Belongs to You’ exhibition